Monday 9 January 2017

Stampendous Snow Wonderful!


All this week Stampendous are having a snowy week (hoping that prediction doesn't come true here in the UK!) with lots of lovely wintry projects to share with you.

I've been playing a lot more with Frantage and have to say I am totally in love with this line of products - yes it's embossing powders but SO much more, it's such a unique product line that can create a wealth of effects. I'd encourage you to have a play with it for yourself.

But I digress... I created a bauble for this week's prompt. My base is a wooden MDF bauble shape but you could always die cut a circle of chipboard and poke a hole in it. You just need something sturdy as you will be applying a lot of heat. I feel the need to give a little warning too (yes I know you're all adults but...) embossing enamel is really hot and sticky and it really, really burns if you put your fingers in it! So use caution. OK now the fun can begin.

Sorry no step pics today but here's how I created it:

1 Seal the bauble with a coat of white gesso or paint.

2 Apply a layer of embossing ink (I favour Versamark) then a layer of clear embossing enamel and heat - this creates a nice base for the rest of the embossed layers. It might be a bit lumpy but that's not a problem so keep going!

3 Now the fun bit! Ink the bauble again with embossing ink. Choose a selection Frantage enamels and sprinkle them in bits and bobs over here and there. Heat GENTLY not getting the heat tool too close. A 'hairdryer' shaped heat tool is really a must - the nozzle ones are too powerful and the powder blows away!

4 I began with a layer consisting mostly of Chunky Silver enamel with a sprinkle of other colours to help build depth. I then kept adding layers using a mix of colours sprinkled in separate patches. This piece has about 5 layers in total.

5 Once you are happy, ink up the snowflake with white pigment ink (I used Colorbox Color Pop by Susan K Weckesser) - you need to prep the stamp first as you have to work quickly. Reheat the powder well so it's really molten then press the stamp into the enamel. Push down gently to give the stamped impression some depth and leave for a few seconds to allow the enamel to set slightly.

6 Remove the stamp. Define the snowflake by dry brushing some dark blue paint (I used DecoArt Prussian Blue Hue which is a really dark, rich blue) over the raised areas. Hightlight some of the texture with a silver gilding product (I used DecoArt Metallic Lustre). Add a string and you're done.

It's not easy to explain this in words so I will try to do a video sometime to show the process in more detail. Hope you like my little bauble - he looked very pretty on my tree but would also make a nice winter hanger for a doorknob I think.

Stay warm!

Katy x

Stampendous Products Used:

Stampendous Cling Stamps: Delicate Snow
Stampendous Frantage Deep Impressions Chunky Embossing Enamel - Clear, Silver
Stampendous Frantage Embossing Enamels - Aged Teal, Aged Marine, Aged Wine, Aged Silver
Versamark Embossing Ink
White pigment inkpad
DecoArt Fluid Acrylic - Prussian Blue Hue
DecoArt Metallic Lustre - Silver Spark

You can find all the Frantage products here: http://www.stampendous.com/shop/embossing-powder/frantage-embossing-enamel/

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful Katy.
    I had a thought before Christmas to do something similar on circles and pop them on card bases to make Christmas cards but time ran away and I didn't get round to do it then. I did however have a go over the new year holiday thinking I'd get a heads up on my cards for next time, they haven't turned out as nice as yours though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snow two ways about it! This is such a cool project! Snowone could resist oooooing and aaaahing over this lovely creation! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful bauble. Thanks for sharing your process. I would love to try this.

    ReplyDelete