Thursday 24 December 2015

Wishing...


So delighted to have been asked back again to guest design for A Sprinkle of Imagination, this time as part of their 12 Designers of Christmas series - I am in fact last to go but it's well worth a look back through a month of fabby art from lots of talented peeps.

I used stamps from A Sprinkle of Imagination - Stampotique Great Moon and the hare by Crafty Individuals. I also used my own Believe set from Rubber Dance for the sentiment.

I decided to combine the stamps with the opportunity to get more familiar with my DecoArt Media Fluid Acrylics. I've actually used these paints a LOT but not usually in a very 'painterly' way, more for adding colour to mixed media pieces. Here I've attempted a form of painting with them ('proper' painters look away now!!!) to create my evening scene.

1) I used two colours of blue for my background - Phthalo Blue and Cerulean Blue (always makes me think of The X-Files that colour!). Blob the paint randomly onto the gessoed canvas then mix with brush then use your fingers to smooth it out.


2) To create the moon, I added a tiny blob of Titanium White to the canvas and smoothed it into a circle shape working from the centre outwards so the white fades out. I added a touch of Hansa Yellow Light over the top of the white while it was still wet and blended it in with my fingers. The snowflakes are simply spots of Titanium White added randomly with the end of a paintbrush.


4) To create the snow add a thick layer of modelling paste textured using a palette knife. Add some Glamour Dust while the paste is still wet. When dry, lightly add washes of Cobolt Turquoise Hue and Silver Metallic paints, just adding the paint here and there. When dry, mute down with a little Transparent White.


5) You can just see I created a 'halo' effect on the snow - as snow reflects the light back up. This is just a wash of Transluscent White applied close to the top edge of the snow and blended upwards.

6) Finally I also painted my stamped images with paints - Hansa Yellow Light for the moon and Raw Sienna for the bunny. I also added Glamour Dust to the moon here and there to give it more shine!

I loved making my canvas - hope you like my moon gazing hare!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a happy and prosperous New Year!

Katy xxx

6 comments:

  1. So sweet - I love those hares, they are magical, and his snowy setting is perfect.
    Wishing you and yours a peaceful and joyous festive season!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful piece of art and there is certainly an aura of mystique and hope about it. The blue background is gorgeous! Love the depth of color.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How lovely! I wish I could achieve the same standard

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous make Katy. Wishing you a Merry Christmas too. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely fantastic I love every detail!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in love with this!! So darn sweet!

    ReplyDelete